The City of Mill Valley is committed to protecting the City’s unique small-town character (General Plan Goal #1) while also encouraging continued diversity of housing and income levels (General Plan Goal #2). The City works to implement local actions, as well as those regulations established by the State and/or Federal government. Housing, particularly providing a range of housing options in terms of affordability levels, is of particular interest and of concern to the City Council and many community members.
See links below for details and more information on the following items:
- Housing Resources: Informational page providing resources on housing such as home improvements; financing and loans; first time homeowner ownership programs; short term rental registration requirements; homeless assistance; and more.
- Housing Equity: The City is working to address housing equity including recent City Council discussions (summer 2020). See supporting document for details.
- Housing Element: The City’s Housing Element contains comprehensive and practical programs aimed at addressing the above-referenced General Plan goals. The Housing Element is updated every 8 years, with the next Housing Element scheduled for review and adoption by City Council in 2022. See link to download the current Housing Element.
- Housing Advisory Committee: This committee was established to assist staff and advise City Council (and Planning Commission) on matters related to the Housing Element and the Affordable Housing Ordinance.
- Housing Summit: In 2017 the City of Mill Valley hosted a Housing Summit with the community, see link for information on this event.